Affordable energy services are among the essential ingredients of economic development,
including eradication of poverty. Convenient affordable energy is also important for improving
health and education and for reducing the human labor required to cook and meet other basic
needs. It is important, for the sake of Kargil's continued prosperity, to promote Renewable
Energy Projects and Programmes with existing cultural and environmental circumstances, so as
to encourage a sound and sustainable future for the people of Kargil.
- To encourage the use of everlastingly renewable natural resources in Kargil district.
- To test and demonstrate development models around appropriate technologies which
make use of such perpetually renewable natural resources.
- To mitigate the degradation of natural resources especially minimizing fuel wood
requirement from the fragile Kargil forest.
- To advocate environmentally sound development policies at the local, state and national
- To provide technical assistance for the formulation of programmes and projects meant
for extension of renewable energy programmes in the district.
- To liaise with other agencies in and outside the country in the field of alternate source of
- To advise the LAHDC, Kargil, the village level committees, Panchayats, NAC and other
local bodies and NGOs in the district on all such matters pertaining to alternate energy
resources, as may be referred to it from time to time, and to undertake on its own or in
collaboration or other arrangement with national or international agencies, programmes
of research application extension and development of energy resources.
- To undertake research on the emerging issues concerning to the development of Kargil
and its impact on the environment and resources.
- To sponsor or undertake socio-economic feasibility studies or cost benefit analysis with
respect to new sources of energy.
- To help and encourage youth interested in research related to energy resources and
- To accept donations, grants, contributions or financial assistance from governmental,
quasi-governmental or private institutions, persons or any other sources with a view to
full fill all or any of the above objects.
- To accept Governmental budget allotment from UT/district sector.
- And to pursue the above objectives with the goal of encouraging an ecologically sound
and sustainable future for the Kargili people and their land.
These objectives shall be primarily achieved through appropriate projects and
programmes focused on targeted intervention, demonstration and advocacy.